Friday, March 9, 2007

Random Thought on a Friday Night

Well, Kenny is officially sick--his first sickness. He's not been feeling well, coughing, sneezing...so I took him the doctor yesterday and he has "croup". Normally, a person would just let the "croup" run it's course and you'd be done with it. For a 5 1/2 month old though things are different. He has to take a five day round of steroids to help the inflammation in his airway go away. If it doesn't get better after the steroids, then you talk about hospital stays. Scary. I found out that Brandon was in the hospital about a week with "croup" when he was six months old. Scary. I hope those steroids know what they're doing!

Other than that, he's actually been quite happy and a joy to be around (as always). Perhaps a little more needy, but then again so am I when I'm sick. I'm bummed because we were supposed to hang out with our friends Brian and Wendy and their little girl Megan tonight and my old chilihead friend Kari and her husband tomorrow night--we cancelled both things. Doctor says to keep him in for a while since he might get another kid sick or catch something from someone else. This is the kind of thing that I thought would bug the heck out of me as a parent before I was one but now that I am one...it's just what you do. And that's okay. I'd rather him be okay than do all the stuff I would do if I didn't have him. I'm kinda sick too so it's probably better for everyone's health that we all stay home.

The weather has been AWESOME here lately--mostly 60s which in Idaho is practically t shirt weather. I don't even wear a coat anymore when it's that warm outside! Being from the Bay Area when I first moved here I would have been in a jacket, had my gloves, hat, and scarf on...and probably STILL been cold. Idahoans would look at me so crazy when I was dressed like that and they were in shorts and a t shirt. In all fairness, I would look at them crazy too because I was so cold I couldn't imagine wearing that.

I miss the Bay Area. Well, I miss what it used to be when I was growing up. I miss the way my family used to be when both sets of my grandparents lived within 15 minutes, all of my cousins were close, we would see our family all of the time for holidays, birthdays...or no reason at all, just because we could. Now we're so far away...and that time is long ago. When I go down though, and I breath in the fresh salty air and feel the wonderful breeze on my face it's like no time has passed. Everyone I love is still alive and we all live close to each other. I'm still that little kid who's rollerskating back and forth between houses with my best friend Karen, Top Ramen is my lunch of choice, it's safe to walk back and forth to school, when I open my Nana's kitchen door a wonderful warmth wafts in my face and hear the laughter of my family trailing through the house to greet me (and a piece of candy from the candy dish!), my Mama still lives next to Taco Bell and I always know she'll make me a peanut butter and honey sandwich if I want it, I'm all ready to play Indiana Jones at my cousin's house, or ready to play in the canal at my other cousin's house, I can still meet my family at the Hickory Pit Sunday afternoon...but I love Idaho...and Kenny will now be making those memories to look back on...weird to think about that! I hope his school years are as full and wonderful as mine were even though he won't get to ride BART for a field trip, go to San Francisco for a piece of Blondie's Pizza as you're walking around the city after going to a play or an opera or a museum or an art gallery or Golden Gate Park, go to the Oakland Zoo, go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, go the bay to collect water and then take it back to school to look at it under a microscope, go to Coyote Hills....and that's just to name a few! I'm not saying there's not stuff to do in Idaho--there is and it's great--but there's something magical about the Bay Area.

Brandon's been working so hard lately. I probably should go spend some time with him right now. Last week he didn't come home until 8, 9, or even 10pm...tonight he came home early so I should take advantage! We had Papa Murphy's pizza and it was delicious!

No comments: